For Immediate Use
July 13, 2011
GAAS PR 17-11
Margaret Beck, AASA
Ohio Valley Automotive Aftermarket Association
Announces 2011-2012 Scholarship Winners
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. – The Ohio Valley Automotive Aftermarket Association has awarded five scholarships for the 2011-2012 academic year.
Ryan Fitzpatrick, of Lima, Ohio, will receive a $1,000 OVAAA Scholarship award. Fitzpatrick plans to pursue a degree in Automotive / High Performance at Northwestern Ohio University, Lima, Ohio.
Four students will receive $250 awards:
Applicants for the Ohio Valley Automotive Aftermarket Association 2011-2012 scholarships were taken through the automotive scholarship Web site, www.AutomotiveScholarships.com.
- Tess Sheppard, Belmont, Ohio. Tess will pursue a degree in Biochemistry at Wheeling Jesuit University, Wheeling, W.Va.
- Hannah Childress, Springboro, Ohio. Hannah plans to pursue a degree in English at Chattanooga State, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Natalie Frank, Lowellville, Ohio. Natalie plans to pursue a degree in Exercise Science at The Ohio State University.
- Colby Childress, Springboro, Ohio. Colby plans to pursue a degree in Business Accounting at Chattanooga State, Chattanooga, Tenn.
“We are pleased to be able to work with GAAS to make the awards to these five very deserving students,” said Rick Campbell, Membership Services Director, Ohio Valley Automotive Aftermarket Association.”
“The recipients selected by OVAAA are representative of the 523 candidates who applied through our online application site this year,” said Pete Kornafel, chairman of the GAAS Scholarship Selection Committee. “Through the support of OVAAA, other organizations, and the generous donations to the GAAS scholarship fund, we are able to assist these students in their pursuit of automotive aftermarket careers.”
Along with OVAAA, collaborative efforts with state associations and other automotive groups include:
Each of these other collaborating groups has their own criteria and selects their own recipients for their scholarships.
- Automotive Aftermarket Association of the Carolinas and Tennessee (AAACT)
- Automotive Aftermarket Association Southeast (AAAS)
- Association of Diesel Specialists (ADS)
- Automotive Parts & Services Association (APSA)
- Automotive Parts and Service Association of Illinois (APSA of IL)
- California/Nevada/Arizona Automotive Wholesalers' Association (CAWA)
- Kentucky / Indiana Automotive Wholesalers Association (KIAWA)
- Michigan Automotive Parts Association (MAPA)
- New York State Automotive Aftermarket Association (NYSAAA)
- Wisconsin Automotive Part Association (WAPA)
- Women’s Car Care Council (WB)
GAAS recently presented 99 U.S. and will award 8 Canadian scholarships for the 2011-2012 academic year. In its 16-year history, the fund has presented more than $1.5 million in awards to more than 1,500 students.
Additional scholarship funding comes from industry contributions from individuals, companies and foundations. Contributions can be made to the GAAS Scholarship Fund, c/o Susan Medick at AAIA, at 301-654-6664, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Global Automotive Aftermarket Symposium
The annual two-day Global Automotive Aftermarket Symposium brings together industry leaders and experts to examine the issues and trends affecting the automotive aftermarket and influencing its future. For more information, visit www.globalsymposium.org.
About the GAAS Scholarship Program
The GAAS program is a joint professional education effort of the of the Alliance of State Automotive Aftermarket Associations (ASAAA), Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA), Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA), Automotive Industries Association (AIA) of Canada, Automotive Parts Remanufacturers Association (APRA), Automotive Service Association (ASA), Automotive Warehouse Distributors Association (AWDA), Motorist Assurance Program (MAP), Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association (MEMA), Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), Tire Industry Association (TIA) and University of the Aftermarket. R. L. Polk & Co. is the corporate sponsor of the Global Automotive Aftermarket Symposium.